Tuesday, March 22, 2011
I believe that a good leader should always have a listening ear,be it listening to others problems or when they want to state their opinions.A good leader must be responsible and not push the blame to others for his/her own mistakes.Good leaders have to be able to speak their mind and not be afraid,and also be able to inspire confidence in others and make them follow in their footsteps.A good leader is not one who sits on the chair of luxury and slave around others,telling them what to do for his own goals.A good leader would instead guide others towards their own goals,and also help them become good leaders themselves.
I think that a good leader would be able to remain clam no matter what kind of crisis is going on and with any kind of situation.He or she would be able to think things through carefully and decide the best possible course of action.However,a good leader would also know that he or she can rely on peers for help,be it their opinion on certain things or help for different projects.
Some leadership traits by barbara White President of Beyond Better Development
1. A good leader has an exemplary character. They are trusted and live their life with honesty and integrity.
2. A good leader is enthusiastic about their work or cause and also about their role as leader. They are very passionate about what they are doing.
3. A good leader is confident. In order to lead and set direction a leader needs to appear confident as a person and in the leadership role. Such a person inspires confidence in others and draws out the trust and best efforts of the team to complete the task well.
4. A leader also needs to function in an orderly and purposeful manner in situations of uncertainty. People look to the leader during times of uncertainty and unfamiliarity and find reassurance and security when the leader portrays confidence and a positive demeanor.
5. Good leaders remain calm, composed and steadfast to the main purpose.
6. A good leader is able to think analytically.
7. A good leader is committed to excellence. He maintains high standards, and also is proactive in raising the bar in order to achieve excellence in all areas.
The four leadership traits/leadership qualities are:
A leader needs to be ready to take risks. It is claimed that higher, the risk higher is the gain. A leader should not be living in a comfortable zone and being happy with whatever he has achieved Everything is possible for them despite the arduous and bumpy road to getting there.
A leader needs to be mentally tough. No one can lead without being criticized or without facing tough situations. Good leaders have a self-esteem and self-confidence to ride out of any tough situation.
Superior Communication Skills
Effective leadership necessitates good listening skills and endowed with the ability to inspire others to work more productively by their speech or words.
Going the extra mile
Good leaders always put more effort than others expects from them. They do activities that the majority of people won't do and where most people quit they persevere. Good leaders also do the work which will motivate others to follow as well.
How do you think a good leader manages crisis under stressful situations?
A good leader remains calm when faced with a crisis under stressful situations. Instead of being panic, they will think of solutions to effectively solve the crisis under stressful situation. Also, they will remain positive instead of being negative.
Elijah Wong (21) 205
The five leadership traits/leadership qualities are: Honest, Forward-Looking, Competent, Inspiring and Intelligent.
How do you think a good leader manages crisis under stressful situations?
I chose to talk about Martin Luther King Jr and about his leadership traits and how he handled periods of frustration:
He challenged authority
Willingness to risk their lives for their goals
Making the people around him act
Showing the way
In his fight for racial balance, he did hit the hearts of all Afro-Americans but at one part of time, the practices going on for racial desegregation were not going so well and the success rate was only below 9%. He raised it to the Supreme Court where they ended up returning remedial power to each state. Going up to the Supreme Court and fighting for the case to pass also would have been a huge obstacle with already quite a frustrated mind.
After fighting and getting the law through, even after that the Afro-Americans did not give in a nice environment for education and there were many problems with that. Martin Luther King was obviously disappointed and did not want that to continue. He involved the parents so that something could be done and that would help the Afro-Americans.
He always thought of way that could help both parties compromise and understand. He showed the way of tackling problems and not making them worlds by quenching your anger on something.
Traits of a Good Leader:
- Leaders make themselves Visible by circulating around the workplace, making them appear more approachable and available.
- They are Consistent, they don't be tyrant one day and a coward the next. Flip-flopping between styles confuses teammates.
- Leaders try to Initiate conversations to help find better solutions.
- They carry a Positive attitude. This optimistic attitude can carry over to others.
- Leaders are always Responsible . They accept challenges as well as successes.
- The most important traits of a leader is being a good Listener. Focus on the needs of your teammates. They show people that they are willing to listen to what they have to say, that they are worthy of his time.
- Leaders Recognize efforts by teammates. If a teammate performs well, then let him or her be know.
- They know how to Communicate clearly and are able to convey their message in a way that connects with the listener.
- Leaders are always Fun, lightness can complement the seriousness of a job.
A Good Leader remains calm when in a crisis. Instead of panicking, they would try to think of an effective solution. They carry a positive attitude even when at the edge of failing.
- The ability to learn from themselves and others, no matter the situation.
- A humbleness that is inspiring.
- Integrity, honesty and a strong moral compass
- Mental toughness and resilience under adversity.
- Capacity for love, compassion, sensitivity and understanding.
- Ability to breach the dichotomy between big vision and the smallest detail.
- Sincere respect for human dignity and genuine concern for others.
- Taking responsibility for themselves and their behavior.
- Inspiring words, actions and emotions that propel others to go beyond their preconceived limits.
- The ability to renew themselves and others through story, humor, perspective and reflection.
Leaders have the ability to listen well. The also have the ability to acknowledge and change. They make sure to surround themselves with like-minded people. And they understand themselves well. They never let others dictate how they should do certain things. They can communicate well and they display high levels of optimism and are not afraid of failures.
A good leader can manage any types of crisis as they have high level of tolerance and can change the crisis into nothing. And they are not afraid of failing and it is just learning experience
Sunday, March 20, 2011
- What traits do they possess?
- How do you think a good leader manages crisis under stressful situations?
- Post your research in the blog (as shown in the googlesite) via email.
- The class Character Education blog is newly created. You have not been invited as a co-author yet.
- Cite the resources that your referred in at the end of the write-up.
- Example: eLearning CE: Activity 3 Timothy Tan (25)
- Your post will be published automatically on this class Character Education's blog.